Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Fried Rice

I don't know about your house, but at my house the weeks go by, and we end up with lots and lots of leftover rice. Through (again) watching a cooking show, I've found a fun and easy way to use up that rice!



Fried Rice
--
leftover rice (when I make it for my whole family (6 of us), I probably use 6-8 cups of rice)
2 packages of tofu, cut into large chunks (think, maybe, an inch or so on a side)
3-4 TBSP tamari (soy sauce)
1-2 TBSP coconut oil
and-any-vegetables-you-have-on-hand. here are some of the ones I have used: onions, garlic, mushrooms, eggplant, peppers, peas, pineapple, apricots (makes it good and sweet/tangy!), baby corn, bean sprouts... the list is kind of endless. use whatever veggies you have and like to eat!!

Step 1: Fry the tofu in a large skillet with the coconut oil and 1/2 the tamari. It should sizzle and pop and get all brown and gorgeous. If you are adding onions, garlic, or mushrooms - add them in when the tofu is about half-way done.

Step 2: Add the rice and the rest of the tamari. The rice should start to turn brown. Stir well (pan should be on medium high heat).

Step 3: Add remaining vegetables and stir every now and again until they're done!

Step 4: Eat it and enjoy. Seriously, that's it. I love this easy recipe, and my family likes it too - PLUS you have a good way to use up rice - tons of bonuses!!

(note: for the Fried Rice I made today, which is the same rice in the photo, I used peas, pineapple and onions for my veggies)

No comments:

Post a Comment